Ritz Communications

Home | Site map

AIRtime

Action, Interaction and Reaction from the Ritz team

Social media marketing … are you buying it? Or selling it?

Posted: March 22, 2012 - 3:30 PM ET - by Elisabeth

Photos and videos captured on smart phones, opinions on everything and everyone … you can post them on your Facebook page, tweet them or blog about them. You too can be a citizen reporter or a pundit of the run-of-the-mill.

If you’re wondering what’s next, you’re already behind.

Today, you can be a connoisseur of … well, anything … on Pinterest. It turns out you can be a marketing guru too!

Earlier this month, American Express introduced a “Tweet your way to savings” program; cardholders can tweet current AmX promotions using hashtags and receive savings when they make a purchase. I guess it’s not so different from the online stores that offer you credits for referring friends … except that you’re telling the world, not just a few confidantes who like the same brand of shoes or electronics.

Privacy issues aside, I’d love to hear what you think about this variation on the theme of marketing through third-party endorsements.

Are you ready to move from “iReporting” to “iRecommendations”?

1. Personally, iMollywatson is more interested in iFamily. Professionally, iMollywatson believes in iCommonsense when it comes to social media!

Comment by Molly Watson — March 22, 2012 @ 6:33 pm

2. The “speed of light” has taken on a whole new meaning with the way technology has changed these last few years, months, and even days (read: this month’s new iPad launch.)It is no longer fast enough. Every time I think I am ready to embark on and embrace the latest tech trend, I fear I am already out of style!

Comment by Heather — March 22, 2012 @ 7:19 pm

3. I wonder if objective reporting and legitimate reviews will be so watered down with marketing-driven influences that it will be hard to peel through the layers to get any unbiased information.

Comment by Kiera — March 23, 2012 @ 8:13 am

4. There are so many non-traditional influencers out there driving sales. Whomever figures out the best way to identify them and gain their favor will rule the 21st century marketing world!

Comment by Mike — March 23, 2012 @ 8:51 am

5. When it’s a recommendation about something I care about, great. When it’s not, it can border on annoying after a while …

Comment by Patty — March 23, 2012 @ 2:14 pm