Ritz Communications

What motivates you?

Posted: May 3, 2012 - 3:45 PM ET - by Elisabeth

Is it compensation?

Or appreciation?

Is it something more?

Fulfillment? Amusement? Accomplishment?

We want to hear (actually to read) your favorite quote … those words of inspiration tucked under a corner of your desk, tacked to a bulletin board or jotted on a notebook page … your own fighting words or a deep thought by a famous mind … the sentiment you look for in that moment when all seems lost and you don’t know how you will ever go on … or, you know, when you just need to get all fired up!

Our favorite submission will receive a little recognition and a big reward in the next blog post.

Okay, maybe not so big … but you can dream … and all it takes to win is the click of a mouse!

1. “You can sleep when you’re dead,” which speaks to how busy my life is lately.

Comment by Molly Watson — May 4, 2012 @ 8:26 am

2. “Leap and the net shall appear” … which is actually how I landed at Ritz … and boy am I glad I did! Does brown-nosing disqualify me from winning?

Comment by Patty — May 4, 2012 @ 10:04 am

3. A favorite quote of mine is, “It’s easy to make a buck. It’s a lot harder to make a difference,” by Tom Brokaw. Of course compensation and appreciation are motivators, but I feel most driven and fulfilled when I feel what I’m doing is positively affecting a client who is in some way helping people.

Comment by Mandy Widtfeldt — May 4, 2012 @ 10:17 am

4. “The problem is not that we aim too high and miss, but that we aim too low and hit.”

Comment by Robin Bernstein — May 4, 2012 @ 10:33 pm

5. “It’s more important to be kind than smart—though there’s no reason why you shouldn’t aspire to be both in full measure.”

(The first part of this quote summarizes a great truth I first came across, and which touched me deeply, in a story by Jeff Bezos of Amazon.com–in Marlo Thomas’s “The Right Words at the Right Time.” I have added the “though…measure” portion.)

Comment by Matt Baron — May 8, 2012 @ 7:24 am

6. Here’s what’s on my desktop today: “Once we accept our limits, we go beyond them.” – Albert Einstein

Comment by Karlin Sloan — May 8, 2012 @ 12:14 pm

7. Scrawled and pinned nearby:
    “The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes.” – Marcel Proust

Comment by Julia Dunlop — May 8, 2012 @ 12:43 pm

8. “Always think of what you have to do as easy and it will become so.”

I can’t remember where I read this. Probably in Dale Carnegie book, but I can’t remember.

Comment by Mary Gray — May 8, 2012 @ 1:10 pm

9. “Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly.”
    -Robert F. Kennedy

Comment by Yashu Reddy — May 8, 2012 @ 1:45 pm

10. “When you come to a fork in the road, take it.”
    ….Yogi Berra

Comment by Greg Pryor — May 8, 2012 @ 1:48 pm

11. My favorite comes from Dr. Seuss.
    “Why fit in when you were born to stand out?”

Comment by Sheri Miller — May 8, 2012 @ 2:04 pm

12. I don’t know if an excerpt counts as a quote 🙂

This “quote” has quite literally changed my life. At a time in my life when I needed the most guidance, I read this excerpt and it set my life course.

” ….the profoundest changes take place within a very reduced time frame. When we least expect it, life sets us a challenge to test our courage and willingness to change; at such a moment, there is no point in pretending that nothing has happened or in saying that we are not yet ready.

The challenge will not wait. Life does not look back. A week is more than enough time for us to decide whether or not to accept our destiny.” Paulo Coehlo

Comment by Julie — May 8, 2012 @ 2:10 pm

13. “As for me, all I know is that I know nothing.” ~Socrates
    This quote always keeps me open minded and in search of knowledge and understanding.

Comment by Genvieve — May 8, 2012 @ 2:58 pm

14. Quoting myself may seem a little arrogant, but I realized something some time ago which has had a profound kind of stickiness about it…

Very few decisions in life are irreversible. The only irreversible choices we make involve the creation and destruction of life itself. That is our power as humans. Everything else is negotiable. Everything else is just change, or evolution.

This thought helps me eliminate the “what if” fears that crop up before me when a major decision needs making.

Comment by Nader — May 8, 2012 @ 4:56 pm

15. “Change is the law of life. And those who look only to the past or present are certain to miss the future.” John F. Kennedy (wearing an LL Bean sweater)

Comment by Cathy — May 8, 2012 @ 9:18 pm

16. “You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. You’re on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the one who’ll decide where to go…”
    ― Dr. Seuss, Oh, the Places You’ll Go!

Comment by Jennifer Brusstar — May 9, 2012 @ 11:03 am

17. How to pick just one?! Leap and the net will appear, mentioned above, is a magnet on my fridge and one of my all-time favorites. How about this one?

“In times of great stress or adversity,
    it’s always best to keep busy, to plow your anger
    and your energy into something positive.”

— Lee Iacocca

Comment by lori — May 14, 2012 @ 6:52 pm

18. A long time ago a friend, who was a professor of Greek language and ancient history, asked me, “What part of speech is the word “faith?” I replied that I thought of it as a noun. ” No,” he said, “Faith is a verb – an active verb – because FAITH IS THE ACT OF BELIEVING.” This has been my screensaver for many years.

Comment by Pat Ritz — May 17, 2012 @ 3:33 pm

19. I have a number of quotes that have impacted me in various ways, but when it comes to a dose of INSPIRATION…when things seem beyond the pale and exceptionally challenging…here’s a favorite from author and endurance runner Dean Karnazes:

“If it comes easy, it it doesn’t require extraordinary effort, you’re not pushing hard enough: it’s supposed to hurt like hell.”

(Dean Karnazes from ULTRAMARATHON MAN)

Comment by Jeff McMahon — May 17, 2012 @ 4:13 pm

20. The question should be, is it worth trying to do, not can it be done.
    – Allard Lowenstein, twentieth-century American diplomat

Comment by Lisa Marie Leonard — May 17, 2012 @ 4:30 pm

21. I have 2 that I find going through my head more often than others.
    It’s not how hard you hit, it’s how hard you get hit….and keep moving forward.
    Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
    Unless someone like you cares an awful lot, nothing is going to change, it’s not.
    Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

Comment by Kathy Heff — May 17, 2012 @ 6:50 pm

22. There are as many reasons for running as there are days in the year, years in my life. But mostly I run because i am an animal and a child,an artist and a saint; so too are you. Find your own play, your own self renewing compulsion, and you will become the person you are meant to be. (quote painted on a picture frame given to me by my 16 year old niece this past christmas)

Comment by Kim Tacconi — May 19, 2012 @ 9:03 pm